I’m not going to lie; I get a bit stir crazy from time to time. I’m the type that always loves to have something going on. I scour the internet for activities going on around the city that we can go to as a family. I’m all about getting in as many experiences as possible, you know? My husband, on the other hand, works full-time. On the weekends, he’s happy as a clam relaxing at home. However, I drop subtle hints the entire weekend about wanting to get out of the house until he finally throws his hands in the air and says “Okay, let’s go do something!” But, we also have to consider the budget that we’re on. We try to find free activities to do with our kiddos as much as possible. Sometimes free activities are the best! I thought I’d share some activities that I’ve brainstormed with you! Here are some ideas for free activities you can do with your kids:
- Build a pillow & blanket fort! I’ve never seen Eliana’s eyes light up like they did the first time Brad built her a pillow fort. He stacked a few pillows around Arlo’s activity mat and then threw a blanket over the top. She thought it was the greatest thing she’s ever seen. She didn’t understand how neither Brad nor I could fit though… Oh well! She started to think of it as her own little cave and it was a blast watching her crawl in and out with laughter. Free & totally entertaining!
- Have a picnic! Whether it’s in your own backyard or a nearby park, a picnic is a great way to take some food you already have, pack it up, and get some much needed fresh air. I find that having a change of scenery during lunch time makes for bigger appetites too – bonus!
- In the winter, go look at Christmas lights around your city! This is probably my favorite one. Kids absolutely love Christmas lights – and I can’t blame them! Bring a thermos of hot chocolate or hot apple cider, pull in to a neighborhood known for awesome Christmas lights, play some Christmas music, and be ready for all the “oohs” and “ahhs”. SO. MUCH. FUN.
- Host your own “cooking show”! Break out the camera (whether it’s on your iPhone or an actual camera) and film yourselves cooking. Be cheesy and over the top. I mean, you have to make dinner anyways… why not make it more fun?! Kids love to help, especially with cooking. Plus, looking back at the footage will be hilarious!
- Have a family talent show! Challenge your kids to let out their inner Aretha Franklins by displaying their talents for their family. This is a crazy fun activity but it also promotes bonding by sharing what they’re good at.
- Create an annual family Olympics! Come up with goofy activities that you can compete against your kids with. Have your kids draw up awards for all the different activities. First place doesn’t have to do chores for a week! Or if you have really little ones like I do, first place gets to pick the movie for movie night!
- Go to the library! This is probably an obvious one, but it’s so much fun! I always have this notion that the library is going to be boring, but we always end up having a ton of fun. Our local library has an awesome kids area where Eliana can play with toys and also interact with other kids. They have a bunch of kids activities throughout the day, too. Not only does it foster a love of reading, but during the activities it’s nice to let someone else take the reins for a bit.
- Look through your old photo albums! When I was a kid, I was fascinated when looking through my parents’ photo albums displaying pictures of them as kids. I loved hearing their stories about growing up. I could sit and look through them for hours! It’s a great way to create a bond with your kids and show them that you can relate to them. I think sometimes they forget that we were kids too…
- Plan your next family vacation! Okay, so the vacation isn’t free, but the planning definitely is! Watch YouTube videos of the destination you’re planning on going to. Find different activities going on in the area that you’re traveling to and gauge your kids’ interest. Daydreaming about vacations is always fun for kids. Getting them involved in the planning only makes it that much more exciting!
- Write a silly book together! Let your imaginations soar! What better way to unleash creativity than to write a book together?!
Let me know what your favorite free activities are! I’m always game for adding more to my repertoire!
Until the next post!